Here is a clipping from the San Francisco Examiner of 17 April, 1979. It mentions RuneQuest, Greg Stafford, and Chaosium.
Click here to for a full size version (flickr). Pity the second page didn't scan so well on newspapers.com
Some things that stood out:
- It made the front page! Sweet.
- The article also mentioned Bunnies & Burrows and Tunnels & Trolls! Ha! Those were the days.
- They quote Gary Gygax as saying that 30,000 people play "fantasy games."
- The GM was Charlie Krank.
- A lovely bit of RuneQuest style combat:
"...That's a hit with a broadsword. I parried and you hit me." declared Albany High School Sherman Kann.
"He's holding on to your leg." Krank told Stafford as a tiny metal figure representing Taustig was toppled. "Her left leg is gone."