Saturday, February 23, 2008

Weightlifting and chess

  • I originally got the idea from chessboxing.
    The problem that Scott and I were facing is that the time between sets were getting a little boring. That is to say, each of us had a bit of downtime while the other was doing his set, and reading the aging bodybuilding magazines weren't cutting it anymore. And both of us hate shouted encouragement. ("Come on! One more! You can do it!" ugh.)
    So I bought myself a magnetic chess set. The pieces stick to the board pretty securely, and it is not easy to dislodge them. Now, while one of us is doing his set, the other is looking the board over and perhaps making his move.
    This eliminates boredom, and I am engaged enough that I don't feel like ending the session early. And it gives me something to focus on and exercise my brain, instead of getting irritated by the loud idiots at the gym that scream and throw down their weights loudly.
    So there you have it. I doubt that this would be useful or fun for many others, but perhaps this is my one minor contribution to weightlifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment